LA PORTE, INDIANA
21st Annual Sunflower Fair in Downtown La Porte
The Sunflower Fair celebrates its twenty-first year in the heart of Downtown La Porte on Saturday, Sept. 21. The festival that celebrates community and creativity will begin at 8:00 a.m. and will last until 4:00 p.m. This unique festival is situated along beautiful Michigan Avenue between Lincolnway and Noble Street. With over 130 craft and specialty vendors, the Sunflower Fair is one of the largest area festivals.
Attendees can eat delicious food from a variety of non-profit organizations and local eateries. The La Porte Farmer’s Market will also be on hand for the day with locally sourced produce and goods. Beyond vendors, there are fantastic activities for the whole family.
Start off the day with the Kiwanis Club of La Porte’s 5K Run and Fun Walk beginning at 8:00 a.m. with registration beginning at 6:45 a.m. View remarkably preserved antique cars on Michigan Avenue south of Harrison Street organized by the Michiana Antique Car Club. Participants can also listen to live music in the designated food court on the north end of Michigan Avenue. The Artist's Gallery Walk, located inside the Historic Rumely Hotel, will once again have a great variety of local artists works on display. Visitors are invited to walk through and vote on their favorite piece along the art walk. Each artist will have a diverse selection of new work on display. The artists themselves will also be on hand, working on their preferred choice of artistry medium, live for everyone to observe and ask questions. It's a great time to see and interact with the local artists in the area.
Activities are also available for those with a competitive side with the Tom R. Fara Memorial Rib Cook- Off and the Wyatt Wilke Memorial Sunflower Contest. Participates are asked to bring their sunflowers to the City Hall steps before 10:00 a.m. on September 21st with judging beginning at 11 a.m.. Categories include: tallest sunflower, largest sunflower seed head, and sunflower stalk with the most blooms. The La Porte County Public Library also holds a coloring contest for kids aged 3 to 12. Pick up a coloring page
at your local library and return it by September 17th to be entered in the contest.
Again this year, the La Porte Jaycees will offer a Build-a-Scarecrow booth and photo booth located on Maple Avenue. Children will have the opportunity to ride the Lions Club Train which runs the length of the festival or ride carnival rides for only $2 per ticket or $5 for 3 tickets. There is something for everyone to enjoy this year at the Sunflower Fair!
Want more information about the Sunflower Fair? Visit www.sunflowerfair.com or check out La Porte Sunflower Fair on Facebook. You may also contact the LaPorte Economic Advancement Partnership at 219.324.8584 for more information.
For any questions or interest in showing art with The Rumely Art Walk next year, please contact Clinton Worthington 574-876-5794 or email email@example.com.
- September 03, 2019
- Send Email
- La Porte Economic Advancement Partnership Announces Ready2Work Childcare Voucher Program
- Resort Apartments Expansion Sought
- Patrick Industries Announces Plans to Open a New Facility in La Porte, Indiana
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Awards the La Porte Economic Advancement Partnership with 5-Star Accreditation
- Quincy Development begins Construction in the Thomas Rose Industrial Park
- Dermody Announces Agreement with Rural King to Open in La Porte
- Downtown La Porte Gets Community Treatment with Help of La Porte County Family YMCA & LEAP
- La Porte and Sullivan Named INspire Idea Competition Recipients
- INspire Idea Competition Selects Five Finalists
- Flaherty & Collins Properties Announces Updated Plans For The Strand A $35M Mixed-Use Development
- GLPCC and GLEDC Forge a New Alliance Designed to Grow La Porte’s Competitive Advantage